Thursday, 13 October 2016

The Head of Dionysus from Corinth

Hello all and welcome to this blog post!

Today I will be looking at this mosaic of the head of Dionysus, from ancient Corinth.


I picked it because I liked the pattern around the head, so I decided to do some research into it. Unfortunately, there are many pictures of this mosaic, but not very much information about it! I was able to find out that it is dated to around 150-225 AD, and that it was the floor in a Roman villa. I also found out that it is currently housed in the Ancient Corinth Museum, that opening times are 8-3 every day except holy days, and tickets are 6 euros unless you are over 65, under 18 or a student in the European Union, which sadly I am not!

What is interesting about this mosaic is that is recognised as being Dionysus rather than Bacchus, the Roman equivalent. When Greece was incorporated into the Roman Empire, many of their gods became closely linked with the Roman ones, for example Zeus became Jupiter, Hera became Juno, and Dionysus became Bacchus. The fact that this is Dionysus instead of Bacchus could be an indication that the Greek gods lingered during the Roman empire. Alternatively, it could just be that because it was found in Greece, archaeologists dubbed him Dionysus and so Dionysus he stayed!

Anyways, super short today because I chose my subject matter poorly, so sorry for that. Tis still a very pretty mosaic and I would love to go see it one day!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments that you would like on here. But and it's a big but, all comments that the creator believes to be spam will be deleted without prejudice.